The Yankton Community Library and the Mead Cultural Education Center are excited to sponsor the seventh annual Historic Cemetery Walk on Tuesday, June 4. There will be five tour groups beginning at the south entry of the Yankton City Cemetery on Douglas Avenue at 6 p.m. and again at 7:30 p.m. Each group will start at a different station.
This year’s tour features the following prominent Yanktonites:
• Herbert Pike, a rough-and-tumble early Yankton business owner;
• the Hohf Brothers, the first Yankton doctors to bring an X-ray machine to Yankton;
• Mary Ash, an owner of Yankton’s first hotel;
• Martha Cox, a female business owner prior to 1900 (a rare thing);
• and Louis Janousek, a flamboyant artist and photographer of Dakota Territory.
Tickets are available at the Yankton Community Library, 515 Walnut Street. Be prepared to choose your tour time when you purchase your tickets, and remember to get your tickets early, as each tour station can only accommodate 12 people.
For more information, contact the library at 605-668-5275 or email@example.com.