VERMILLION — University of South Dakota music students placed highly in the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) and the South Dakota Music Teachers Association (SDMTA) competitions that were held at Black Hills State University in Spearfish on Nov. 8-9.
Students from USD competed against others from Augustana University, Black Hills State University, Northern State University and South Dakota State University. They competed in piano, voice and woodwind divisions.
USD’s MTNA competition results were as follows:
MTNA Young Artist Piano Competition
• 1st Place — Pedro Medeiros, Graduate student in Piano Performance, Hometown: Santo Amaro da Imperatriz, Santa Catarina, Brazil; Student of Alessandra Feris, D.M.
MTNA Young Artist Voice Competition
• 1st Place — Mikayla Trenhaile, Senior in Vocal Performance and Music Education, Hometown: Yankton, Student of Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A.
USD’s SDMTA Competition Results
Junior/Senior Collegiate Voice Division
• 1st Place — Bailey Quade, Senior in Vocal Performance, Rapid City, South Dakota, Student of Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A.
• 2nd Place — Garrett Adam, Junior in Flute and Vocal Performance, Yankton, South Dakota, Student of Nicholas Provenzale, D.M.A.
Freshman/Sophomore Voice Division
• Honorable Mention — Margaret Meierhenry, Freshman in Music Education, Sioux Falls, Student of Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A.
• Honorable Mention — James Miller, Sophomore in Vocal Performance, Elk Point, Student of Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A.
Collegiate Piano Division
• Honorable Mention — Adam Allgrunn, Freshman in Business and Math, Vermillion, South Dakota, Student of Susan Keith Gray, D.M.A.
Collegiate Woodwinds Division
(All received honorable mentions and are clarinet students of Luis Viquez, D.M.A.)
• Anna Klocke — Freshman in Music Education, Hometown: Tea, South Dakota
• Kaitlyn Strock — Senior in Music Education, Hometown: Spencer, Iowa
• Kacie Cox — Junior in Music Education and Performance, Hometown: Marathon, Iowa
• Steven Bray — Junior in Music Education and Performance, Hometown: Yankton, South Dakota
• Morgan Boeding — Sophomore in Music Education, Hometown: Kimball, South Dakota
• Hayden Vickery — Sophomore in Music Performance, Hometown: Hopkins, Minnesota
The MTNA national student competitions are among the most prestigious student competitions in the country. The purpose of the MTNA competitions is to provide educational experiences for students and teachers and to recognize exceptionally talented young artists and their teachers in their pursuit of musical excellence. The three-tiered competitions begin with state competitions. The winners of each state’s competitions advance to a regional division competition. Division winners compete in the national finals at the annual MTNA National Conference.
SDMTA is an affiliate of Music Teachers National Association. SDMTA competitions provide opportunities for musical growth for member teachers and their students through recognition of high performance standards. The SDMTA competition is separate from the MTNA competition, but they are held concurrently at the state conference.