Welcome back for another terrific school year in the Yankton School District!
We are looking forward to a very busy and successful 2019-20 year. I want to thank our students, parents, grand-parents, staff members, retired folks, and our community for your outstanding support.
Focus On the Whole Child
As superintendent, I am honored to lead a district with a strong commitment to education, which is evident in the programs and opportunities available to our students. The Yankton School District has a reputation for excellence in Academics, Career and Technical Education, Fine Arts and Extracurricular programing. Our curriculum and course content PK-12 and our Birth to 3 programs allow us to focus on the whole child.
Our focus on the whole child means we are able to interact with families and children at a very young age, educate our students to become successful, productive citizens who are critical thinkers and who exhibit strong character. In order to provide these types of educational opportunities we need the support from our parents, community members, and business community.
We will continue to reach out to our business community and partner with them to ensure we have a strong and viable educational system, which encourages graduates to return to Yankton and grow our community. Economic Development and Education go hand in hand. A skilled and educated workforce compliments the ever growing needs facing many of our current businesses.
Funding continues to challenge schools across our state, including the Yankton School District. Discussions and meetings will take place this year regarding an “Opt Out” for the Yankton School District. More detailed information will be provided to the public.
You are encouraged and welcome to become involved throughout this very important process.
Forward 2024 Strategic Plan
In its five year vision, the Yankton School District has implemented a comprehensive plan for an early childhood facility and building configuration.
To implement a comprehensive plan for an early childhood facility and building configuration.
• Development and construction of a new early childhood facility and a recommendation for grade-level or neighborhood buildings.
In its five-year vision, the Yankton School District is continuing to secure ongoing local and state funding for 21st century learning needs, highly-qualified staff, new facilities, and a sustainable employee insurance benefit.
To secure ongoing local and state funding for 21st century learning needs, highly-qualified staff, new facilities, and a sustainable employee insurance benefit.
• Secure additional local funding through the passing of a successful Opt Out for the Yankton School District.
• Provide a sustainable Health Care Plan and Self Insurance Fund for the Yankton School District.
• Issue Capital Outlay Certificates for construction of a new early childhood facility.
III. Mental Well-Being
In its five-year vision, the Yankton School District is providing a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment to support mental well-being.
GOAL: To provide a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment to support mental well-being.
• Identify mental wellness needs of students in the Yankton School District at all grade levels.
• Provide professional development and staff training so that students are provided skills to develop a healthy, whole person.
IV. School Safety
In its five-year vision, the Yankton School District is continuing to provide safe, secure, and updated environments.
To provide safe, secure, and updated environments.
• Review existing school resource officer program.
• Provide parents information on student safety.
• Provide staff training and practice implementing safety plans.
V. Student Achievement
In its five-year vision, the Yankton School District is implementing programming to meet diverse student learning needs and continuing to rank among the highest in South Dakota for academic achievement.
To enhance programming that meets diverse student learning needs and continue to rank among the highest in South Dakota for academic achievement.
• Use progressive programming that provides resources to support educators, students, and parents in our community while showing growth for all students at their achievement levels.
• Use 21st century skills to expand curriculum and cultivate engagement for student success.
Thank you for the trust and confidence you have placed in me to lead the Yankton School District. You are welcome to contact me at any time to visit. I would be happy to visit with you personally or speak to your group/organization.
I am also willing to host your group at our Administration Building or one of our school buildings. I would also come to your facility or meeting place.
If there is a specific topic you would like for me to address in the future, please call me at 665-3998 or email me at email@example.com. Let’s continue to have a great year!
Henry Ford stated, “Coming together is a beginning. Staying together is a process. Working together is a success.”
Dr. Wayne Kindle is superintendent of the Yankton School District.