Where There’s Smoke

No one was injured following a residential fire in Yankton Wednesday evening. Around 5:51 p.m., firefighters were summoned to the 900 block of Walnut St. after smoke was observed coming from a window on the second floor of the building. Deputy Fire Chief Larry Nickles told the Press & Dakotan that fire damage was relegated to one apartment, but since the fire was likely caused by faulty wiring, power had to be cut to multiple units. He said four people were displaced — three are being assisted by the American Red Cross while a fourth made other arrangements. The Yankton Fire Department, Yankton County Emergency Management, Yankton Police Department, Yankton County EMS, NorthWestern Energy and MidAmerican Energy all responded to the fire.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.