PIERRE – Membership does have its privileges at the South Dakota State Historical Society.
Beginning in October, the society is launching its new membership program which features the addition of Smithsonian Affiliate Member benefits for all new or renewing members at the Heritage Circle level.
• Membership in the Smithsonian Institution
• One-year subscription to Smithsonian magazine
• 10 percent discount in Smithsonian stores, catalog or online
• 10 percent discount on Smithsonian Folkways recordings
• Smithsonian Journeys travel and study tour opportunities
• Free admission to Smithsonian Affiliate Reciprocal Member Institutions
There are approximately 80 other reciprocal members around the country and visitors can check the society website at www.history.sd.gov/membership to obtain a list.
The society has been working on a new membership program for the past 12 months. It includes slight increases in membership level costs at some levels and some different benefits, other than those that come with the Smithsonian Affiliation benefits. Members receive free admission to the museum at the Cultural Heritage Center, subscriptions to "South Dakota History" and "History Notes" and a 10 percent discount at the Heritage Stores at the Cultural Heritage Center and state Capitol, among other benefits.