Here is the monthly schedule for area driver’s license examinations in South Dakota and Nebraska. File application at least one hour in advance of scheduled closing hours if you wish to complete examination on the same day. First-time driver license applicants, bring certified birth certificate and Social Security number. No drive tests will be given from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For more information, call (800) 952-3696 or visit www.state.sd.us/dps/dl
• Armour — 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., second and third Thursday, Courthouse, 706 Braddock.
• Center/Knox Co. (Neb.) — 8:30-4 p.m. every Friday (closed 12-1 p.m.).
• Elk Point — 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., first and third Wednesday, Courthouse basement.
• Hartington/Cedar Co. (Neb.) — 8:30-4 p.m. every Thursday (closed noon-1 p.m.).
• North Sioux City — 8:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; second, fourth and fifth Wednesday, Community Center.
• Parker — 8 a.m.-5 p.m., first Wednesday, Courthouse basement.
• Vermillion — 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, Courthouse, 211 W. Main.
• Wagner — 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., first and fourth Thursday, City Hall, 60 Main Ave. SE
• Yankton — 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays; 3113 Spruce, Ste. 109 (Kanner Bldg).
Federal regulations require anyone applying for a new, renewal or duplicate driver license or identification card to provide the documents listed below (photo copies are not acceptable):
• ONE of the following to prove identity, date of birth, and lawful status: Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by county or state (no hospital birth-certificates); valid unexpired U.S. passport; Certificate of Naturalization; Certificate of Citizenship; valid unexpired permanent resident card; valid unexpired employment authorization document; foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94
If your name is different than the name on your identity document, you will need to bring additional proof of your legal name. Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate (issued by a state vital records agency), a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change (such as a divorce decree). If you have had multiple marriages, you will need to bring similar documents providing legal proof of each name change. The examiners must be able to trace from your birth name to your current name.
• ONE document to prove your Social Security number: Social Security card, W-2 Form, SSA 1099 Form, Non-SSA 1099 Form, pay stub (must include name and Social Security number). The regulations do not allow personnel to accept any other document as proof of Social Security number.
• TWO documents to prove your residential address. A parent’s proof of address is acceptable for a minor child. Bring two of the documents listed here (each must contain your current address): Utility bill, credit card statement, pay stub or earnings statement, rent receipt, phone bill, transcript or report card from accredited school, bank statement, mortgage document, tax document, homeowners/renter’s insurance policy. Other items will be reviewed by licensing personnel. PO Box addresses are acceptable in areas not assigned street or 911 addresses. In South Dakota, if you are unable to provide proof of residency, visit www.dps.sd.gov or call 1-800-952-3696.
NOTE: In South Dakota, application must be submitted at least one hour in advance of scheduled closing time. No drive tests will be given from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.