Closings and Cancellations
• New Years Eve Fun Night Cancellations
At this time, as a result of severe weather, it looks like we will be cancelling the New Years Eve Fun Night activities at the middle school as well as at Carmike Cinemas. The swim and gym scheduled for tomorrow afternoon from 1-4 will continue to take place unless the Summit Center closes and at this time I am working on getting in touch with someone from the ice association to see if they plan on cancelling the free ice skating scheduled for tomorrow from 6-10.
With the ice on the roads now and predictions of 3 – 6 inches of snow from tonight through tomorrow afternoon with wind gusts tomorrow afternoon and evening at 20 – 35 miles per hours and freezing cold temperatures, I feel that it is best to keep everyone safe and at home.
As far as the swim and gym and ice skating, please check the KYNT closing/cancellation for notice on these events.
Thank you all for the time and effort in this event. I am sad to see it not happen, but believe that it is better to be safe than sorry.
Have a SAFE and Happy New Year
• The Yankton Community Library will be closing at 5 p.m. today, Thursday, December 30, due to winter weather conditions. We will reopen on Monday, January 3, at 10 a.m.
• Due to the current weather conditions the Yankton Chamber & Visitors Center will be closing at 2 p.m. today. The office will also be closed all day tomorrow, December 31. The Yankton Area Chamber of Commerce asks everyone to be safe this holiday season and will be open regular business hours beginning Monday, January 3, 2011.
• Due to the predicted weather, the New Year’s Eve afternoon parade and the Simply South Dakota Tasting Event in Delmont has been canceled. It will not be rescheduled.
• Due to the weather the First United Methodist Church of Yankton’s youth groups Broken Resolve concert has been canceled.
• Sacred Heart Catholic Church has canceled the Eucharist Adoration after the 5:00 p.m. mass today- Dec 30.
• Rivercity Gymnastics is canceled for tonight Dec 30.
• Hutchinson County Courthouse closing at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 30th
• Wagner VA Outpatient Clinic - CLOSED Dec. 30
• The Center in Yankton, SD closing at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 30th
• Yankton Area Banquet - No Meal Thursday, December 30th
• Knox County Courthouse closing at 2:30 p.m. Thursday
• Cimpl's of Yankton will be starting 2 hours late Friday
• Sanford Clinics Some Rural Clinics Closing Visit www.south.sanfordhealth.org
• No excercise classes at Avera Sacred Heart Wellness Center tonight 12/30/10
• Masters Voice Quartet New Year's Celebration at the Sioux Falls Ramkota will be postponed until this Sunday, January 2nd at 3pm
• Yankton Weight Watchers Meeting Cancelled for Thursday, December 30
• Bingo is cancelled at Ohiya Casino west of Crofton on Highway 12 tonight Thursday due to the weather.
• VA Clinic in Wagner will be closing at 2 pm Thursday, December 30 and will be closed Friday, December 31.
• Yankton Youth wrestling club practice from 6:30 - 8 pm at the Summit Center has been cancelled.
• NO group exercise classes at Avera Sacred Heart Wellness Center in Yankton for tonight.
• The Center has cancelled the New Year's Eve party scheduled for Friday, Dec. 31 from 2-5 pm.
• City of Wagner, SD will begin plowing Emergency Snow Routes at 3:30 p.m. today (12/30/10) all vehicles must be moved or risk being towed.
• Interstate 29 to Close from Brookings to North Dakota Border
Effective at 4 p.m. (CST) on Thursday, Dec. 30, South Dakota officials are closing Interstate 29 from Brookings to the North Dakota border.
Heavy snow and strong winds are creating blizzard conditions with drifting snow and limited visibility making travel dangerous to impossible. There is no timeline at this point for reopening the section of interstate. Officials say further closures on South Dakota’s interstate system are likely as the storm continues through Saturday morning.
Officials are urging no unnecessary travel throughout the state until the storm passes. Those who must travel in areas that are open should take the following safety precautions:
- Travel during the day and use highly traveled roads and highways if at all possible.
- Keep family and friends informed of your travel schedule and route.
- Call 511 or visit www.safetravelusa.com for road conditions.
- If you travel, wear a seatbelt. Keep a winter weather survival kit in your car and a chargedcell phone in your car, but don’t rely on the phone to get you out of trouble.
- Consider stocking food and water if you are in a remote area of the state.
- Be flexible and cancel travel plans if weather conditions warrant.
Ice and Freezing Rain Disrupts Travel
The South Dakota Departments of Transportation and Public Safety are advising motorists to use extreme caution in the eastern third of South Dakota due to ice covered roads.
Additionally, the National Weather Services has said a period of freezing rain during the early afternoon hours today will create difficult driving conditions along the Interstate 29 corridor from Brookings south to S. Sioux City.
SDDOT plows are working to apply salt to the roads in an effort to melt the ice, but conditions remain slippery and travel is treacherous in many locations. Traveling speeds on many roads are reduced to 35-40 mph.
Travelers are urged to visit www.safetravelusa.com or call 511 to check road conditions.
Officials urge travelers to watch the weather and to be prepared to change travel plans if necessary as this weather system moves across the state over the next few days.
• The Mount Marty College men’s basketball team will play its game with Presentation College on Monday, Jan. 3, beginning at 6 p.m. The game will be played at Laddie E. Cimpl Arena.
• The championship games of the Creighton Holiday Tournament, featuring West Boyd vs. Hartington girls and West Boyd vs. Creighton boys, were pushed into next week. The third place games will be held as scheduled.
• The Garretson at Parker boys’ basketball game will be played Monday, Jan. 3.
• The Parkston Boys’ Basketball Classic was postponed. No makeup date has been set.
• The final round of the Holiday Basketball Tournament, hosted by Kimball, was postponed. No makeup date has been set.
• The boys’ basketball game featuring Beresford against Irene-Wakonda at Wakonda were postponed. No makeup date has been set.
• The basketball doubleheader featuring Avon at Alcester-Hudson was postponed. No makeup date has been set.
• The Chamberlain East-West Classic was canceled.
• The Swiftel Girls’ Basketball Classic in Brookings was canceled. One game was played, featuring Arlington against Waverly-South Shore.
To report weather-related sports announcements to the Press & Dakotan, fax 1-605-665-1721, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-743-2968, ext. 106.